Wednesday, 6 April 2011

Learning by Doing

So today I was lucky enough to be over at Cadborough Cliff near Rye, on a section of the 1066 Country Walk. A couple of weeks ago at a BC Rowland Wood work party I met a chap called Roy Wells who is a recorder for the Sussex Botanical Recording Society. Back then I arranged to meet up with a group of SBRS recorders, including Roy, to get an insight into the valuable work they do, recording the wild flowers of Sussex. I had a very productive and interesting day. It is one of the pleasures of life to watch skilled artisans applying their trade, be it a spin bowler finishing off the tail end or a potter throwing a ceramic vessel on a wheel. I tell you, the SBRS recorders know their stuff.

And that’s not all; Roy also finds time to record butterflies. We saw Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshell butterflies galore today. I also saw numerous species of bees.

To finish off the day we visited the Historic Camber Castle site near Winchelsea. So my heartfelt thanks to Roy Wells, Judith Linsell and Mathew Berry for a grand day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment