Thursday, 7 April 2011

Spring Butterflies

The spring butterflies are now out in numbers here in Rother. Katie Walker has been recording Orange Tips, Peacocks and Brimstones at Darwell for the last couple of weeks, and today I recorded nine Orange Tips, five Peacocks, two Brimstones and a Holly Blue in Barnes Wood. The Orange Tip’s foodplant, Cuckoo flower, is now flowering along the rides. The violets are prolific too. Today I saw this nice little clump of plants sheltering behind a small log. On closer inspection I noticed quite a little plant community here, with honeysuckle and possibly common dock also. I have noticed queen bumblebees flying around the woods and my garden for quite a while. Today I was (just about) quick enough to get a photograph of Bombus terrestris in Barnes Wood and Bombus lapidarius in my garden. Thanks to Katie Walker for the Orange Tip and Peacock photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment