Friday, 19 August 2011

Return of the Speckled Wood Butterflies

I made my weekly visit to Barnes Wood today. There is definitely an end of season atmosphere to the woodlands now.

As evidenced by this rather faded Meadow Brown on the fleabane.

The Knapweed is very abundant and conspicuous.

My favourite woodland hoverfly, Myanthropia florae, its my favourite as it is the only one that stays around long enough for me to photograph it!

Guelder-rose; the bright red berries stand out a mile. Curiously, despite its name, it is a member of the honeysuckle family.

A Small Tortoiseshell; haven’t seen one of these in a while.

Good old Comma, can always be relied upon to pose for the camera. This was a particularly good specimen, fresh and colourful.

The Speckled Wood butterflies are out in numbers again, I recorded eight in BW today. As I recall they had a bit of a late season flourish last year.It is there! My photographs are authentic if nothing else!

To conclude, a nice spear thistle.

Okay, bonus picture for getting this far; Adonis'Ladybird recorded in Peasmarsh by Gordon Jarvis.

No comments:

Post a Comment