Thursday, 12 April 2012

The Town Where I Live.

As I had spent all day in front of the computer by tea time the eye strain was getting too much. So I went for a little walk around Battle (East Sussex) to take in the evening air.

It’s a great little town is Battle, I didn’t grow up here but after thirty years I believe I have been around long enough to call it home.

It is surrounded by glorious countryside which is definitely a plus. These are the meadows adjacent to the Abby and a section of the 1066 Walk.


And a good spray of blackthorn in the fields near my house.


I don’t usually go out at this time of day so the surprising thing about this evening was the copious amount of birdsong. Virtually every gable-end had a Blackbird (Turdus merula) perched upon it singing away.

Blackbird song at RSPB Website

However this fellow won the Britain’s got Talent competition for me today. The Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos) is aptly named. This evening he took the whole concept of adoration at the high alter of nature and made it his own. Then when he realised I was listening he took it up a couple of notches. Superb!

Song thrush at RSPB Website

One for the Sussex Botanists now; Early dog-violet, (Viola riechenbachiana). This was growing on the margin between someone’s garden and the footpath. Note the ‘rabbit ears’ of the top two petals and the spur as dark (violet) as the petals.

Another blackbird in silhouette;


A Turneresque sunset at the top of Caldbec Hill.


No butterflies this evening, but the information board at Kingsmead makes a promise for the summer to come.

Finally, two old friends.

PS; Please checkout the Bumblebee nectar pots in the post below, and finally, finally, an excellent Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria) photo send to me by Katie Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment